Sunday, December 7, 2008

Daryl's Knee Surgery

In April, Daryl and I were running training for an upcoming triathlon and he dislocated his knee pretty bad.  He has had knee problems since high school, but this was bad and it was 3 days before our Costa Rica trip too!  He got a little better and we skipped the first tri of the season for us in St. George.  Then in September, we did the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon.  He said he would take it easy on the run part...yeah right!  He dislocated it again!  ARRGHHHH!  One month later we go to St. George to do the Kocapeli Tri and he says he will only do the swim and the bike and skip the run all together because the his knee still felt really funky!  I never saw him during the race because the men start before the women...he did the run! Or should I say tried to do the run and hurt his knee even worse!  Stubborn little snot!!!!  
OCTOBER 6, 2008  Daryl's knee surgery!
Here he is throwing gang signs before surgery!

Here is his knee before surgery!
Here it is after!  He had a patellar re-allignment and a chondral drilling and a lateral release and a medial ligament tightening...say that 3 times fast!!  It was a doosy!  6 weeks in a knee brace with very little bending to protect the repair.  He is doing pretty good now and is very anxious to get back to bike riding... no running probably ever again :(  I lost my running partner... Aunt Tracy has taken his place and while we are having fun, I miss our 5:00 in the morning dates!   I guess I will be biking much more very soon so I can be with him!  I miss him so much!

3 comments:

VivaLasFloyds said...

That first picture of Daryl...H.O.T.!

I think you should show a picture of the bruise!

Ashley & Kevin said...

That is going to be me one day! It looks like he is a sport though! I am glad you caught up on blog posts!

Jen Rose said...

OUCH! I hope he starts to feel better soon! That is crazy! You guys are animals running all crazy! I love it!